I hate cold. it makes me angry and antisocial. nothing special, just the way I am. I can take cold if necessary, I just know that I don’t like it. I don’t see why I would change that. I’m assuming I’m not the only one, but also expect that there are some cold-lover out there as well.
However, this condition made me specially sensitive to some social phenomena. the latest one, that I really really don’t understand is people’s behavior on public restrooms. They seem to be either specially designed for cold-lovers, or there is much more cold-lover out there than I imagined.
a) more often than not they are without heating. I get that, landlords are cheap and save money on heating. it’s not nice of them, but nobody spends lots of time in public toilets anyway. and I can handle my anger in small quantities anyway.
b) more often than not, there is an open window right behind the toilet seat. again, I can understand the reasons, even though they annoy me – nobody likes the smell of the person before him, and landlords are cheap and save money on ventilation.
c) roughly half of public restrooms don’t offer warm water. again, cheap landlords. however, in the other half that does, more often than not, like 80% of the time, the hot/cold water faucet is turned all the way to the cold one. let’s ponder a bit on this observation:
- every time you use public restroom, someone else was there before you and you inherit their ‘preferredÂ environment’. this means the water temperature preference is being suggested to you.
- a lot of public restrooms don’t offer hot water, but those that do are not being used most of the time.
- there is no way that so many people would be making a mistake in turning the faucet. all the faucets on the planet use the same direction for hot / cold water – all the faucets everybody is using at home, in their own bathroom and kitchen, use the same layout. they should be programmed to instinctively know which way to turn for warm.
- Cold and Flu IQ (webmd.com)
- Extreme hot or extreme cold..? (americanage.wordpress.com)
- Is there a vitamin I should take if I feel like I’m starting to get sick? (zocdoc.com)
- Preventing Frozen Pipes (jonjepsen.com)
- The Bathroom Test (cathylwood.wordpress.com)
- 10 Inspired Public Restrooms (inspiredm.com)
- Apparently, Toilet Seat Covers Drive Models to Kill (bellasugar.com)
- Home Improvement Tip: Flushing Out Hot Water Heater Problems (savings.com)