all the entrepreneurs and VCs are drinking the same cool aid most of the time, and some get away with it. most have to come back to earth sooner or later and actually build business that provide hard value.
I find this metaphor of startup steroids very telling:
Startup steroids: Pinterest feels the burn of Facebook‘s Open Graph By Ben Popper on May 3, 2012 09:30 am 23Comments A packed room of more than 200 founders, VCs and internet bankers took a moment to look up from their iPhones and listen in hushed reverence as one of Silicon Valley‘s top investors explained what he looks for when choosing the…
… another buzzword in the valley these days is ‘virality engineer‘. everyone want one, who will save the startup by providing the growth everyone wants to see.
it’s great that we are aware of the users and obsessed with them, but the hockey stick is the end goal. the goal of an entrepreneur should be to create a sustainably growing organization, mix of products, people and processes that ensure continuos creation of value, with or without the original entrepreneur.
- Steroids Overdose (allaboutcounseling.com)
- What are the Effects of Mixing Steroid and Alcohol? (alcoholic.org)
- Can Steroids Cause Bipolar Disorder? (everydayhealth.com)
- Can you hear me now? Color goes live with multi-year Verizon deal (venturebeat.com)
- Why Startups are good for the economy (deskmag.com)
- 10 Up-And-Coming Startup Hubs From Around The World (grasshopper.com)