I’ve had an amazing blogging week last week.
I published a post about startup not being a job, that I’ve written in a very short moment when I was overwhelmed with disappointment over founders of a certain just-born startup that were not available for what could have been a life-changing meeting for them. we’ll never know now, but it made me realize just how different startup world I live in is from other forms of employment.
I didn’t think about it much more after I’ve written and scheduled it, so it was quite a surprise for me when I realized that another entrepreneur fried published it on Hacker News, and that it was receiving a lot of attention on it, as well as on Twitter.
The responses were amazingly different. While Twitter crowd liked the post very much, HN readership fell into a flame war against me, based on consistent misinterpretations that had one common topic – overworking yourself is hard, and you don’t need to do that in order to be a startup. I wholeheartedly agree with them, but that was not my point.
But a day later, I got this news in my inbox, and it shone an interesting light on the confusion: 50% of readers on HN are under 24-years old. the only other popular site that has younger audience is DeviantArt:
If you ever wanted to know the age and sex of social media users on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn,Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit, Hacker News, Slashdot, Github, Stack Overflow, Orkut, Quora, WordPress.com, Blogger, Flickr, Myspace, Tagged, Hi5, LiveJournal, Yelp, deviantART, StumbleUpon, Goodreads and Last.fm … you’re in luck.
Now, this is significant new information, that has an important consequence: HN readership obviously has a different value system than most of the rest of the ecosystem. we should be more aware of it, because it will shape our world in the next 5 years.
or as a friend commented on facebook: “it seems HN is used only by lifestyle businesses”
- New Data: The Correlations Between Social Sharing and Inbound Links (seomoz.org)
- 7 LinkedIn Tips for Small Businesses (openforum.com)
- Social Media Strategy: “I don’t think my audience is using social media.” (digitalsurgeons.com)
- Age, Gender: 24 Social network demographics (vator.tv)
- The Olds Shall Inherit the Web: Most of the People on Your Social Networks are Over 35 (betabeat.com)
- The Hacker News Effect (drtomallen.com)
- Why I now, unfortunately, hate Hacker News.. (news.ycombinator.com)